Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

A year and some later I am back. The movie seemed fitting enough.

I read this book over the summer and was in shock. I felt like I needed to watch Barney, Finding Nemo or watch too many episodes of Full House.


I don't even know where to begin. Based on the best-selling novel by Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower captures the highs and lows of growing up. Beautifully told thru the journaling of a wounded freshman in high school, the story made me think of today how most of us are still growing up.

To think of the worlds that exist in each of our hearts makes me breathless; and not in a good way. Charlie, the main character in the story, is so flawed. There was always something there with him- that as a reader and a viewer you have no idea of. Then you are made aware of his situation. Then you realize that this congregation of "misfit toys" is 90% of ....everyone.

How can I explain this? Simple put: we are all a little fucked up.

Some stories are a little more tragic than others; but then sometimes the most insignificant "stories" are the most tragic for that person. *inhales deeply* 

People's hearts are not all as strong; some handle things better or differently than others.

At the end of the day we all grow up. Somewhat. And learn to deal. But then a movie like this comes along and it moves things inside and you realize that maybe, just maybe, you are not "okay".

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment